Considering we are almost halfway through the first month of hurricane season we thought it would be a great idea to document some of the best ways to prepare in the event you find your house or family in a situation that could cause major water damage to your home. Although the 2013 season is predicted to be quite active it doesn’t mean you need to scare your close friends and family, the best thing to do is simply educate yourself so you can protect your loved ones and assets in the event a disaster comes your way.
• Always keep an easy to access list of emergency phone numbers. For example local hospitals, county law enforcement, local radio and tv stations, property insurance agents, etc…
• Evaluate hazard risks via FEMA’s portal
• Map out the most safe place in your home to keep your family during such an event. Preferably a windowless room on the bottom floor.
• You should have a few weeks worth of non-perishable food and water stocked up.
• Your family vehicles should be gassed up at least half way during all of hurricane season.
• Precut plywood to fit our windows.
• If you are animal lovers like all of us it’s a great idea to try and pre-plan for a friend or family that’s nearby, animal shelters more than likely won’t accept animals.
• Take photos of all personal and business property pior to any real storm system. This will ensure proper documentation for any unfortunate insurance claims.
• In addition to FEMA here’s another great resource for helping shape a plan: http://www.floridadisaster.org/index.asp
We hope this helps you and your family better prepare for the next 6 months. Whether you are a planner or a “lets see how it goes” kind of person it’s always good to have a running checklist of these very important items. Please reach out and give us a call if you have any other questions regarding preparation or any water damage restoration or mold remediation needs.