When we arrive at a house or commercial property in Orlando for a water damage problem we are often asked if there is anything else they could’ve done to possibly salvage floors, keepsakes, furniture, etc.. As well as safety tips. We always go over this with our clients as we are dispatching to the residence but I thought it would be a good idea to post some things here.
• If furniture is anywhere near standing water or damp carpet always move it immediately so it is out of harms way. This seems obvious but its easy to forget.
• Many people forget to check under their bed for photo albums, art projects, old keepsakes, etc… so its always a good idea to immediately remove anything from under the bed if water has made it into the bedroom.
• We will guide you on this over the phone but ALWAYS shut off power to any part of the house that is exposed to water. Electrocution is easy to prevent but it’s also just as easy to feel the burn.
• If you haven’t done so yet, immediately call us at SEMA Restoration Group 407-624-4397. Every second counts.
Now that we are on the way here are some Do’s & Don’ts…
- Do stay out of any rooms where the ceiling may be dripping from the water damage.
- Do life any house dressings that may rest on the floor i.e. curtains, drapes, blinds, etc…
- Do wipe down any excess water in order to remove it from couches, chairs, bar stools, etc…
- Do remove water as good as you can with a mop or large bath towel. Be sure not to use heavy colored towels on carpet as the dye can easily soak through.
- Don’t hold off on calling a water damage company. The longer you wait the more likely you are to enter a mold type of scenario.
- Don’t employ household electrical appliances while standing near or in water.
- Don’t use household electrical devices to try and soak up water.
Most importantly call a professional in your area, in this case Orlando, so your problem or emergency can be treated properly immediately.